The Early Years
Sara’s Inn on the Boulevard (Sara’s Inn) was originally a one story Victorian cottage. The original house was built before the turn of the century, and changed hands many times over the early years. Earliest owners of the property includes Claude Taylor, and later, John Franklow, who were both railroad men. In 1910 Charles King, a streetcar motorman, purchased the house. His wife, Mrs. King, was a member of the South End Embroidery Club whose members were considered to be prominent women in the early development of the Heights.
In 1980, a second story with turret and widow’s walk were added. Within the main house, the first and second floor centered around a staircase positioned under the cupola, producing a magnificent 3-story open space, flooded with light from above. For some time after the addition of the second story, the structure stood vacant and suffered severe deterioration.
Transition to a B&B
In 1983, Donna and Tillman Arledge purchased the property and began its restoration and conversion to a bed and breakfast inn. On Mother’s Day weekend in May 1986, it was featured on the Heights Historical Home Tour, and the inn opened the following month.
In 1998 Sara’s Inn was purchased by the Arledges’ daughter and son-in-law, Connie and Bob McCreight. The Inn is named after Connie’s little sister, Sara. They continued to operate Sara’s Inn for 17 years from 1998 to August 2014.
In August 2014 Sara’s Inn was purchased by local Heights residents Jihye and John Deveau. As a small family owned business, we appreciate our guests and our goal is to have them return time and time again. We have a high percentage rate of return guests and we are constantly updating the Inn to keep it fresh and appealing for new and return guests.